February is American Heart Month, making it the perfect time to learn new ways to take care of your ticker! Here at Central Florida Regional Hospital, we’re committed to empowering our community to stay healthy. That’s why this month we’ll be hosting a variety of events and classes to help you start new heart-healthy habits. Mark your calendars for the following days:
- Every Monday in February, our Cardiac Rehab team will lead a 30-minute walk through Fort Mellon Park. Along the way, the team will share tips and tricks for making exercise part of your everyday life. Reservations aren’t required, but bring a water bottle and your walking shoes!
- Every Tuesday and Thursday this month, from 7:00 AM to 10:00 AM, we’re offering free cardiac risk screening. We check triglycerides, total cholesterol, HDL, VLDL, and cholesterol-to-HDL ratios. The test requires fasting beforehand—and an appointment. Call today to schedule yours.
- On the first and third Wednesdays of the month at 3:00 PM, our registered dietitians offer Heart Smart Nutrition classes. They’ll present guidelines and tips for a heart-healthy diet. Space is limited, so make your reservation in advance.
- Remember your Valentine this year by taking care of your heart. On Sunday, February 13 from 12:00 PM to 5:00 PM, you’ll find our team at Center Court of the Seminole Towne Centre. We’re conducting cardiac and rhythm screening, along with blood pressure screening. You’ll get something special to take home to your Valentine.
- Join us for Heart Attack 101 on February 15 from 11:30 to 12:30. Interventional cardiologist Jay Bitar, MD, will discuss the different types of heart attacks, the symptoms of a heart attack, and treatment options available. Participants will also enjoy a tasty and heart-healthy dinner, so reservations are required.
Throughout the month, we’ll also share heart-healthy tips and tricks via Facebook and Twitter. Every Sunday, look for a new recipe that your family—and your heart—will love! Meanwhile, you are welcome to join us any day in February in our cafeteria. Our own Chef Scott will be whipping up healthy and easy-to-prepare meals. For $5.99, you’ll get a yummy entrée, a 16-oz beverage, and a copy of the recipe to try at home.
If you’d like to learn more about our events this month or make a reservation, please call 1-800-445-3392. We look forward to seeing you this month!