Feel like a new person by tweaking your routine with a few simple changes.
Spring is an awakening of nature. This year, let spring inspire changes in your perspective on health.
1. Get outside. The sun is shining, the flowers are blooming, but after work you head into the gym to work out? No way! Warm fresh air is a gift of spring, so enjoy it. Jog, practice yoga in the park or toss a Frisbee with the kids outdoors.
2. Give your refrigerator a makeover. Spring is a great time to revamp your diet and throw away food that’s hurting you. Create a healthy environment inside your body where your immune system and organs can function in tip-top shape. Eliminate unhealthy fats, purge sugars and overly salty products and replace with fresh greens and colorful fruits.
3. Try a mini “detox.” Challenge yourself to spend three to seven days without consuming any added sugar or salt (pick the greater vice). For example, skip the brown sugar on your oatmeal and ditch the soda and post-meal desserts. You’ll soon feel reacquainted with foods’ underlying flavors, not to mention improving your health. Before trying juice-only or similar detox diets, always consult your physician.
4. Find new ways to relax. Our culture places a premium on hard work which can make relaxation feel like an indulgence. However, reductions in stress yield huge health benefits. Find a way to fit relaxation into your daily schedule, even if only for 15 minutes of sitting and listening to your breathing. Give massage, yoga or meditation a try – it might be different than you expect!
5. Check up with your doctor. An annual physical is an essential way to scan your overall health and hone in on any trouble spots.
Stay in the driver’s seat of your health by changing your health routine. If you have questions or concerns, or to schedule an appointment, call our free, always available Consult-A-Nurse® service at 1-800-445-3392.